Activation Accounts for Self-management Ability
Hundreds of consumer health characteristics have been mapped to activation levels across more than two-dozen health conditions, as well as disease prevention and health promotion. This research spans populations diverse in their demographic composition and consistently finds activation, as defined by the Patient Activation Measure®, to play a defining role in health behavior and outcomes.
As activation gains, individuals become significantly:
- More adherent to medications
- More likely to eat healthier and engage in physical activity
- More present in the workforce and more satisfied in the jobs
- Less likely to use the ER or to be readmitted post discharge
- More engaged with their clinicians